About Me

My photo
I am a daughter caring for elderly parents. I am a sister who is extremely proud of her brother and sister. I am an aunt who loves my nieces more than I ever thought I could love anyone. I am a "no-problem" friend. I am the smiling face at the front desk, greeting everyone in a positive manner. I hopefully encourage people to find joy and peace in the midst of adversity. I am a responsible member of my community. I am told I sometimes look at the world through rose-colored glasses. Red is my favorite color. :) I am happy to be nappy! There's nothing better than a nice bubble bath, unless there's pumpkin cheesecake waiting for me when I get out. :) I know the Source of my supply. I am grateful.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Taco Bell XXL Chalupa - From Fast Food to Delicious Casserole

I admit it. I am a junk food LOVER. Yes, I try to make good food choices most of the time, but sometimes I succumb to my cravings.  So, "Food Police" I understand your concerns, but every now and then... Hey, I added fiber by the including brown rice and beans in the recipe. I'm just saying, no need to leave a comment about the fat and sodium content.  That's not what this is about. Believe me, I will balance this post with a healthy recipe.  Stay Tuned.

I recently tried the new Taco Bell XXL Chalupa and found it to be surprisingly tasty. Considering myself to be a boot-legged Food Network Chef, I came up with a recipe for a mexican casserole, using the Chalupa as the base. I kept the recipe simple, using items normally found in your pantry, it also took very little time to prepare, which is helpful for the busy Mom.  Prepare it, put it in the oven and help the kids with their homework.

My Mom, whom I use as my taste-tester, gave the dish two thumbs up, so I know that my recipe is good enough to share with You. I really think that this will be a hit with the kids. Served with a salad and you've got a pleasing meal.


Hey, Taco Bell, can we get a chicken version of the XXL? I know some people that don't eat beef that would love this dish. 
 XXL Chalupa Casserole
1 bag of Brown boil-in-bag rice
3 XXL Chalupas, no lettuce (unless you like warm lettuce)
   For the non-beef eater the Grilled Chicken Enchilada can be used instead of the Chalupa
1 can refried beans (or black beans, drained)
1 small can chopped green chilis (heat intensity is your choice)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 C salsa (heat intensity is your choice)
1 1/2 C shredded Mexican Cheese

Preheat over 350 degrees.

Prepare rice according to directions on package.  Drain.  In a large bowl, combine rice, beans, chilis, chili powder and cumin. Mix well.
Spray casserole dish with cooking spray.  Place Chalupas in dish side-by-side.  Spread rice/bean mixture over Chalupas.  Pour salsa evenly over rice/beans.  Sprinkle cheese over salsa. (see photos below)
Bake for 35 minutes or until well heated.  

Makes 4-6 servings. Enjoy.


2 comments:

  1. Yum! Looking forward to following your blog, Pam. Just added it to my Google Reader.

    ReplyDelete